Mid-term evaluation of doctoral students of the International Environmental Doctoral School associated with the Centre for Polar Studies at the University of Silesia in Katowice (IEDS) is carried out in accordance with Article 202 of the Act of 20 July 2018 – Law on Higher Education and Science, § 9 of the Resolution of the Academic Senate of the University of Silesia in Katowice passed on 27 November 2018 setting out the Rules of IEDS, and the principles of organizing and conducting the mid-term evaluation formulated by IEDS Council.
Mid-term evaluation committee
- The Committee is appointed by IEDS Council so that it comprises three members with a post-doctoral degree (PhD with Habilitation) or the academic title of a Professor in the discipline of a given doctoral dissertation, out of whom at least one member is an employee of a unit other than the units forming IEDS. The information on the composition of the Committee is publicly available.
- The Committee must not include the supervisor, the auxiliary supervisor or the leader of the research project which is the source of funding for the doctoral student’s academic scholarship or remuneration.
- In justified cases, a doctoral student or a member of the Committee may apply for the exclusion of a Committee member from the work of the Committee.
- IEDS Council may appoint experts of the Committee, to serve as advisors, from among persons employed in foreign academic and research units.
- Upon the request of a doctoral student or the doctoral student government board, a representative of the doctoral student government may participate in the work of the Committee as an observer.
The course of mid-term evaluation
The mid-term evaluation is carried out on the basis of:
- a written report on the execution of the individual research plan, submitted in Polish and English or in English with the use of the provided report form, reviewed by supervisors;
- a talk given in English at an open academic seminar [>>register for the seminar<<];
- an interview between the Committee, the doctoral student and the supervisors, conducted upon the request of Committee Members, the doctoral student or the supervisors.
Evaluation of the Individual Research Plan (IRP), evaluation criteria and mid-term evaluation
The Committee evaluates the execution of the IRP based on the following criteria:
- conformity of completed research tasks and obtained results with research assumptions given in the IRP;
- ability to meet research deadlines set in the IRP;
- effectiveness of publications and presentation of research results obtained at a given stage of the execution of the IRP;
- significance of research projects carried out by the doctoral student;
- suitability of professional development undertaken by the doctoral student for the achievement of research objectives specified in the IRP;
- degree of completion of the doctoral dissertation and the likelihood of meeting the submission deadline and achieving research objectives specified in the IRP.
- At the end of the mid-term evaluation, a doctoral student obtains a pass mark or a fail mark. Mid-term evaluation results are publically available.
- Should a doctoral student receive a fail mark, he or she is expelled by way of an administrative decision made by the Dean of IEDS with the authorization of the Rector of the University of Silesia. It is possible to submit a request for reconsideration to the Dean of IEDS not later than 14 days after being notified about the decision.
MID-TERM EVALUATION 2021
- Composition of the mid-term evaluation committee in 2021
- Schedule for the mid-term evaluation in 2021
Report on the execution of the IRP – a form to download (in Polish)
Report on the execution of the IRP – a form to download (in English)
- Online submission of the report on the execution of the IRP [>>SUBMIT FORM<<]
- Mid-term evaluation results